Sunday, February 26, 2006

DIVA THUNDER DOWN UNDER!

Howdy Doody folks! And when I say folks, I mean just me. I am surprised how much fun I'm actually having using this blog. I know I'm pretty much talking to myself most of the time, but since I am a legend in my own mind, that's cool!

I had the biggest surprise this a.m. when I went to the Angel announcement board I go to, you know, the one I was spending to much time on? And there was a post about a "Diva Show Down Under" I thought "Cool! This sounds interesting. I wonder what they are doing down under." Then I find out it's a post for me!! They want to bring me and my show down under! I'm really thinking my legend status is growing! I have a couple of people on board with me now! I have the power! And I'm not even making them wear Nikes, drink kool-aid, or have funky coifs while we wait for the mother ship or comet to come down to take us. I mean, I'm not crazy or anything.... We don't have to do all that while we wait. *evil grin*

So I will keep things posted here as they come about.

I was going to post a story about when I decided to end my comedy career before it really got started. After a year and a half of open mics, does not a comedy career make & I was done. I had 6 weeks at the Fogartyville Horror cafe, where they had an open mic every Thurs. It was pretty much for folk singers. They tolerated us comedians. And by tolerate I mean they let us in the place. One guy was there every week and bless his heart, it didn't matter that no one laughed & just looked at him oddly. He didn't care, he was there to work on his craft.

I saw him at an open mic at a comedy club one night and thought, "What the?.. Who the?..He can't be serious! This guy sucks!" And I don't like to say but he did. Then I saw him coming out of an event at the comedy club one other night and it was the "Special Olympics of Comedy" or something to that effect. There were some pretty incredible people there and so friendly and funny. But this guy? Not so much, but at least now I knew where he was coming from. And every week I'd see him at Forgartyville Horror.

Now I know I'm not a mainstream comedian...yet. My stuff will be mainstream one day I tell ya! But I too was there to work on my craft...my other craft. *wink* Standing up there for 10 mins. telling jokes you've written and the only noise in the place is the guy doing dishes in the kitchen?? Oh yea, and the crickets too. Disheartening to say the least! Nothing against crickets or anything but..... not the crowd I was intending to play to.

Six weeks in a row I did it!! Then I just couldn't do it anymore. It was soul destroying. You expect to have off nights but every night is an off night? And I had no real shows in between to keep me going.

So I'm whining my best Diva whine in the car on the way home to Psychic Boy. I'm mean I'm really ranting! I had had it! I mean not to get any laughs?? As a comedian? HELLLO! That's why we do it. Oh and to get the babes too. LOL Anyway P.B. tries to tell me that I'm there to practice & hone in my craft and get this.... he actually tells me...it's not about the laughs!! R U kidding me??? Not about the laughs?? IT'S ALL ABOUT THE FREAKIN LAUGHS YOU MORON!! Is kinda how the conversation went. I don't get paid, so yea, it's kinda about the laughs! I was driving so I couldn't get a good shot at him to smack him.

That is when I decided I was done with my illustrious career as a comedienne. I had a hard enough time keeping my self esteem up without setting it up to get slam dunked down week after week. But I did have one more show to do, I couldn't back out, they sold tickets. People were actually paying to see me! OMG! I better be good! It's my last show! I want to be sent off to obscurity with a bang!

Well, you know how the story ends if you read the previous posts...or at the very least the beginning of this one. So what's the lesson here? The lesson here is.. sometimes in order to hang on you have to let go! Ponder that!

Blessed Be!
W.W.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home