Saturday, November 18, 2006

BEDNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS

Get a cup of tea or coffee or a martini cause this one is going to be a long one. You may wonder why I called this Bed Nobs and Broomsticks. (Yes I know the obvious jokes here with the whole bed and nob thang. Let it go) It was the only title I could think of for the handfasting of my daughter. For you muggles out there, at a Handfasting the couple jump the broom.

It's mind blowing! There are so many emotions when you see your baby girl get married. It really is overwhelming. I was on the verge of tears CONSTANTLY for days! So was Ed's (the groom) sister, Emily, and Ed too for that matter. I told Emily, "Why is this so emotional?? They've lived together now for a few months, what's the difference?" I guess now her brother will be a HUSBAND *echo echo* not just a brother anymore and Elatia will be....will be.... Oh No!!...tears are a starting....will be....crap! here comes the snotters now too!!!....will be a WIFE! *echo echo* Gotta take a moment to clean myself up now. Hold on..............

When I saw Elatia hug Ed good night the night before the wedding, it hit me that she will turn to him first now and he will be number 1 in her life....(fighting back tears and snotters again)......as it should be. But it's hard to let go. I know she will still need me but it's not the same so it takes time for the new chapter in our lives to settle in & get use to having my daughter becoming a wife and me a.....a......a.....choking now....and me becoming a.....MOTHER IN LAW!! *deep evil echo echo*

The night before the wedding we had a "girls night in" in the honeymoon suite. There was 8 of us. My daughter and her bride's maids & me and my sisters, The Karens from Ca. and my cuz from Belfast. We were the Crones and they were the maidens. I had us all toast each person and say why and how they have been a blessing in our life. Welll needless to say we got into the ugly crying!!

It was very special, beautiful & tender. We laughed, we cried, we did some table top dancing! Each of the younger ones knew which one of the older ones they were most like. It was a definite Ya Ya Sisterhood moment!

What an amazing time the handfasting was!! It was sacred, it was emotional, it was beautiful, it was exciting, it was exhausting, it was indescribable!! (although I just described it didn't I??)

I was an emotional wreck the Friday before the handfasting! I was at the grocery store BY MYSELF!! which I learned I could not be anywhere by myself that day!! I was proudly wearing my "Mother of the Bride" t-shirt & was in the grocery store when I kept seeing mothers with their LITTLE girls. I started to cry, not the ugly cry thank Goddess but I had to put the sunglasses on. Then I told myself to suck it up & called my sister, Karen M, and said I can't be left alone!! Why am I out alone Dammit!?? I wanted to go up to these mothers and say "See this shirt I'm wearing???? You'll be wearing it tomorrow it will feel like!!"

My daughter's bride's maids made her a scrap album from the important women in her life. Yes I was one. They gave me 2 pages I did 5! I put in pics of me pregnant with her, her baby pics and then the 80's pics of me and her with our aerobics and dance days. Her friends put in their favorite times with her. She absolutley loved it. It was a beautiful gift. She has some wonderful and beautiful friends.

On Sat. BEFORE the make up I gave her the letter I wrote on Oct. 9th 1981 around her Christening Day talking about her wedding day. Like how "On your Christening day Daddy held you on the alter and today he walking you to it. On your Christening Day we had to smear cake on your lips, today your husband will feed you your cake." ect. I was only 20 when I wrote that letter 25 yrs. ago. After she read the letter we held each other and did one more ugly cry as "The Karens" were ironing her wedding dress across from us.

Surprisingly enough me and Ed, the groom, held it together during the ceremony!! He said because I held it together he was able to. I said the same to him. It was such a beautiful and tender ceremony. Everybody was blown away by it. No one knew that we were doing a handfasting except the people involved.

The reception was a blast! I danced with everyone. PB danced the daughter/father dance to John Mayer's song I believe it's called "Daughters" What a beautiful moment. The dinner was superb! Filet mignon AND mahi mahi. I was making sure nothing was going to waste and took home whatever my son, PB, my parents, or anyone else for that matter, didn't eat. I mean c'mon! Over $80 a plate nothing's going to waste! I had to sign a waiver for it too.

Ed just adores my daughter. Bless his heart he was shaking so bad!! He could hardly hold the chalice and drink the water. The candle part was a bit un-nerving. They are so happy!! My daughter was absolutely radiant! She smiled the whole day for pics and never complained. She stayed in her dress the entire time & looked beautiful all thru the wee hours of the morning. Actually, I've never seen her look bad.

Several of us took turns getting their room ready for them to change after the reception. Rose petals from the door up the spiral staircase on the bed with her silk robe and then candles placed around.

We were by the pool and awhile later they came out on the balcony & shouted down to us so we all went up to continue the party. We were up till 4 a.m. So I am STILL recoverying and have a wedding hangover a week later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home